[dm-crypt] Switching a mountpoint's non-dm blockdevice to a dm one

Bogdan Harjoc harjoc at gmail.com
Sun Dec 6 18:00:42 CET 2009

Hi,

Is a reboot absolutely needed when moving from a plain /dev/sd* root to
a dm root ? From my understanding of how mount works, swapping the
block device from under a mounted fs is not possible without dm.

I expect it wouldn't be enough to replace s_dev, s_bdev and others in
the super_block struct while suspending all reads/writes, but I would
appreciate a "forget about it" or "it's possible" reply.

Thanks,
Bogdan