[dm-crypt] Recover LUKS partition from deleted partition table

Kyle Bond ultimatedevr at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 04:08:23 CEST 2009

Whilst repartitioning my drive trying to move & enlarge my LUKS partition, I
fubar'd the partition table and tried to recreate it from scratch using
testdisk. However, testdisk hasn't been able to properly discover the
partition; it found the LUKS header and created a logical partition 1
cylinder in size; I can do a luksDump from it, and I can see crypt settings,
key slots etc., however the partition's too small to be able to access any
data. So I  enlarged the discovered logical partition starting at the LUKS
header (found using hexdump -C /dev/sda|grep "4c 55 4b 53 ba be") and
extending it back to its original 40GB, however when I try to enter the
password for it cryptsetup won't accept it (I am doing cryptsetup luksOpen
/dev/sda5 root). Help?

--Kyle