[dm-crypt] Fwd: Incompatible LRW changes from 2.6.27 to 2.6.29?

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Fri Oct 9 13:55:31 CEST 2009

On 10/05/2009 07:34 PM, Massimo Burcheri wrote:
> I even wrote to the authors of the LRW kernel modules who told me to
> better ask the LUKS community...

dm-crypt mailing is the best place for this report. This is IMHO kernel
problem (dm-crypt or cryptoAPI).

I would really appreciate that such bug reports are forwarded here,
(or in the case of kernel bug you can use bugzilla.kernel.org,
for cryptsetup issue page http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/issues/list)

I never heard about this problem (otherwise it was already explained or
solved).

> since 2.6.29 (especially patched linux-2.6.29-gentoo-r5) I cannot open a
> LUKS encrypted partition anymore. The same with 2.6.30. Under 2.6.27 it
> still works.
> By  cryptsetup -c twofish  or without -c option (that is AES by default)
> there are no problems with using encrypted partitions on both kernels.
> Therefore it could be related to the LRW option.
>
> My applied cipher is twofish-lrw-benbi:sha256.
> Kernel configuration on "Cryptographic API is unchanged from 2.6.27 to
> the more recent.

I'll run bisect on that to find where is the problem
(if reproducible on upstream gentoo-unpatched kernel).

Please can you check that there is no error message in syslog?

mbroz at redhat.com