[dm-crypt] SSD dm-crypt partition alignment

Peter Smith peter.smith3882100 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 16:38:01 CEST 2010

Hello

I don't know if this is the correct list for this question, but so far
i do not have any better ideas.

I have installed an Intel X25-M SSD in my work laptop. I want to
encrypt this SSD and install Ubuntu 10.04 on it. LVM is not needed so
this will not be configured.

The articles on SSD i have read, explains that it is very important to
align the partitions correctly. Therefore i run fdisk like this:

fdisk -H 32 -S 32 /dev/sda

Then i have created three partitions boot, swap and root. Could i just
go on and continue to configure encryption like explained in this
article:

http://www.howtoforge.com/encrypting-the-system-manually-upon-installation-ubuntu8.04

And then everything will be aligned as it should? or does dm-crypt
need to be aligned somehow?

The Linux kernel used under installation is 2.6.32-21 and the
cryptsetup version is 1.1.0-rc2

Thanks for any suggestions

Peter