[dm-crypt] yet another "lost my partition" message

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Apr 13 03:10:33 CEST 2011

Hi Hugo,

first, there is a lot of info inthe FAQ here:
http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

Best boot a resuce system and try to decrypt the partition
manually with cryptsetup. If that works with any of the
possible passphrases, then all your data is still there.
If not, best post the error message here.

Manual decryption should work with a command like this:

> cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/<your device> e1

Afterwards the decrypted device is  /dev/mapper/e1
You can mount that normally.

You can get header details like this:

> cryptsetup luksDump /dev/<your partition>

Ubuntu should have a resuce mode or life-cd mode that
allows you to do this.

Gruesse,
Arno