[dm-crypt] yet another "lost my partition" message

Hugo Melo hugo.melo at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 20:06:49 CEST 2011

Hi Arno,
Thank you for replying
As it was not the root partition the one I was using with encryption I can
boot without problems on my old system without mounting /home ( the
partition with issue).
So, booted again in my old distro and ran the comand:
 cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda10 home
It worked with my passphrase and I could see the /dev/mapper/home device
created.
Trying to mount it I get:
mount /dev/mapper/home /mnt/
mount: you must specify the filesystem type

It seems to have lost the partition table so.
I am running testdisk now and trying to understand if this is really my
partition without some blocks
I will be back with updates
Thanks again!
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Arno Wagner <arno at wagner.name> wrote:

> Hi Hugo,
>
> first, there is a lot of info inthe FAQ here:
> http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/wiki/FrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> Best boot a resuce system and try to decrypt the partition
> manually with cryptsetup. If that works with any of the
> possible passphrases, then all your data is still there.
> If not, best post the error message here.
>
> Manual decryption should work with a command like this:
>
> > cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/<your device> e1
>
> Afterwards the decrypted device is  /dev/mapper/e1
> You can mount that normally.
>
> You can get header details like this:
>
> > cryptsetup luksDump /dev/<your partition>
>
> Ubuntu should have a resuce mode or life-cd mode that
> allows you to do this.
>
> Gruesse,
> Arno
>

> On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 05:13:17PM -0300, Hugo Melo wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> > I've just lost my home partition trying to reinstall ubuntu.
> > On the installation process, trying to configure my encrypted home
> > partition, I thought it was going to mount my partition but it was asking
> > for the new key.
> > After that I rebooted and didn't make any other changes to my partition.
> > It seems the partitioner used "cryptsetup luksFormat". Do you think I can
> > still restore my partition?
> > I used the same passphrase configured for my home.
> > Thanks on any light
> > --
> > -- Hugo Melo

> --
> Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email:
> arno at wagner.name
> GnuPG:  ID: 1E25338F  FP: 0C30 5782 9D93 F785 E79C  0296 797F 6B50 1E25
> 338F
> ----
> Cuddly UI's are the manifestation of wishful thinking. -- Dylan Evans
>
> If it's in the news, don't worry about it.  The very definition of
> "news" is "something that hardly ever happens." -- Bruce Schneier

-- Hugo Melo