[dm-crypt] Bug Report to Ubuntu regarding dangerous installer

Claudio Moretti flyingstar16 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 21:38:36 CEST 2011

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 18:58, Arno Wagner <arno at wagner.name> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I just sent the email below to ubuntu-bugsquad at lists.ubuntu.com.
> I did not find another way to report a bug without installing
> Ubuntu (which am an not about to do). If somebody knows a better
> way or has Ubuntu installed and can file this directly for the
> installer package, please feel free.
>
> I hope this communicates the problem adequately.
>
> Arno
>
> As far as I know (I'm an Ubuntu user, with a little experience) you can
choose between automatic and manual partitioning; partitioning options are
shown here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GraphicalInstall and the
partition step in the installation process is fully described here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.10/installation-guide/i386/module-details.html#di-partition

If you choose automatic partitioning, you will lose the content of your
disks, but the system warns you; if you choose manual partitioning and
delete the dm-crypt partitions to make new ones, I don't see how the
installer can warn you, aside from telling you you're destroying a partition
(and if you choose manual partitioning, you should know what can happen,
otherwise you shouldn't use it).

In order to use encrypted disks, the installer needs to write the partition
table: before doing it, it warns you that when writing the partition table
changes will be written on the disk and you may lose your data.

In _my_ opinion, the process is quite clear. I see that there may be
problems, but, well (and with this I don't mean to offend anybody, because I
made really stupid mistakes with encrypted partitions) if you don't read
what you're doing, it's not an Ubuntu problem; like if you type that
uppercase YES while luksFormat-ting a partition and then complain that it
should have warned you better...

Claudio