[dm-crypt] Bug Report to Ubuntu regarding dangerous installer

M Thomas Frederiksen mahasamoot at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 02:20:02 CEST 2011

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 12:18, Cristian KLEIN <cristiklein at gmail.com> wrote:

> I understand that the alternate installer is supposed to be for
> experts, but I still think that:
> 1) Ubuntu failed to detect the existing dm-crypt volume, thus
> confusing the user.
> 2) The installer did not provide an easy-to-find command for
> activating the dm-crypt volume.
> 3) Airbags have been turned off, without the user's knowledge.
>
> Please comment and tell me if I am wrong.

I've had the same problem with Ubuntu.  It gives you the impression that
you're activating the partition, and then scribbles all over your data.  Any
other type of partition you can activate w/out damage, or reformat.  It's a
horrible installer.  One thing that LUKS might do, is remove this
--batch-mode option (if a header is found).  That way if a LUKS header is
already there, it will not overwrite the header.  If the user really wants
to scribble on the data, make them pop open a console and type YES.

--
Cheers,
~Thomas