[dm-crypt] Any interest in making dm-crypt/LUKS more cross-platform?

Kraktus kraktus at googlemail.com
Thu Apr 21 16:53:43 CEST 2011

Hello!

I know dm-crypt/LUKS already works on all the Linuxes, and that
dm-crypt/LUKS volumes can be accessed from Windows via FreeOTFE, and that
some implementation of it has even been ported to DragonflyBSD, but what
about the rest of the *nix world, e.g. OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, and Mac OS
X?

Already, much work has been done to make various operating systems be able
to read each others' file systems. I think it would be great if that
portability were extended to encryption. If a person could make put a
dm-crypt/LUKS encrypted ext2 partition and be able to decrypt and read it on
any computer with a reasonably up-to-date version of Linux,
Open/Free/NetBSD, and even Windows and Mac OS X (with added software), it
would be really helpful, especially for back-ups where there is no guarantee
that the computer tat wrote the data will still be usable in the event the
data needed to be restored. (Maybe the user only has one computer, and wants
to be assured that she will still be able to access important legal
documents even if her computer breaks or is stolen and she has to borrow the
computer of a BSD or Mac using friend.) If read-write support were available
on such a wide variety of platforms, that would increase its usefulness for
dual-booters who want to share an encrypted home partition between Linux and
OpenBSD, Linux and FreeBSD, or whatever.

Anyway, that's my two cents, for whatever it's worth. Does anyone else
concur?