[dm-crypt] Use of GCM mode with dm-crypt

Samantha Adams saman.adams at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 10:40:17 CEST 2011

I would like to continue the post from December 2010 concerning GCM as it
seems to be one of the few available modes to provide data integrity.

It is true that GCM adds the authenication tag in every sector and as result
we are going to have a sector bigger in size. So, it makes it unsuitable for
use with dmcrypt.

But is it possible to allocate some space elsewhere for the tag ? Are they
any possible modifications we could make so we could use gcm with dmcrypt ?