[dm-crypt] How can a passphrase be incorrect even after `luksHeaderBackup` and `luksHeaderRestore`?

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Fri Aug 5 19:47:10 CEST 2011

On 08/05/2011 04:52 PM, Arno Wagner wrote:

>>> On #lvm Milan suggested that the problem lies with the new drive
>>> having some misalignment
>>
>> I have checked the dump and there is clear corruption of first keyslot
>> (0x1000 - 0x1400 offset).
>>
>> I'll try to find the source of problem now.
>>
>> Milan
>
> Hi Milan,
>
> just a thought: May this be a stray v1.2 RAID/md superblock?
> They are at 4k offset from the device start according to this:

yes, but not the superblock but the RAID1 bitmap. even mdadm --zero-superblock
keep the RAID1 bitmap intact.
With MD format 1.2 it is exactly area where I see it now.

So, the first question: what was "cat /proc/mdstat" when doing luksHeaderRestore
(which apparently failed)? Was that drive still in use in some raid?