[dm-crypt] "re-encrypting" ?

wolfgang.aigner at gmx.de wolfgang.aigner at gmx.de
Sun Aug 14 01:35:23 CEST 2011

Hello Steve,

> I have encrypted my FS with cryptsetup and see it's
> 256bit but I found that it is too taxing on my systems resources (only
> Pentium 4 machine with 2GB ram)  Could I "re-encrypt" the FS without
> loosing
> the data which is already stored on it ?  I have no room to backup so much
> space.

Yes, but its always dangerous and you could loose all your data. Don't trust on that and do a backup. If it doesn't matter if you loose anything you could use:
dd if=/dev/mapper/[cryptdevice] of=/dev/[device] conv=notrunc

Be aware this is DANGEROUS.

> Also what would be a recommanded bit for a system such as mine ? 64bit ?
> 128

You get a bit more Speed with 128 Bit AES, but still it is slower than withou encryption.

cheers
Wolfgang