[dm-crypt] The weird bug again: semid XXXXXX: semop failed for cookie 0xdeadbeef: incorrect semaphore state

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Aug 16 22:45:38 CEST 2011

I am getting reports of this error again:

semid 491524: semop failed for cookie 0xd4dc159: incorrect semaphore state
Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore identified by
cookie value 223199577 (0xd4dc159) to initialize waiting for incoming
notifications.

This issue is so weird that I don't know where to start. Apparently,
this problem appears whenever chromium is running, and disappears when
you quit chromium. I'm confused about this. Very confused.

I cannot see any connection here, but it has been confirmed by several
users of different distributions (several Arch users, at least one
Slackware user).

For details, please read: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/24614

I hope anyone can help.