[dm-crypt] The weird bug again: semid XXXXXX: semop failed for cookie 0xdeadbeef: incorrect semaphore state

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Wed Aug 17 12:48:24 CEST 2011

On 08/17/2011 12:43 PM, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mer., 2011-08-17 at 13:22 +0200, Alexander Koch wrote:
>>   [alex at thor ~]$ sudo vgchange -an ArchiveGroup
>>     0 logical volume(s) in volume group "ArchiveGroup" now active
>>     semid 557056: semop failed for cookie 0xd4d88de: incorrect semaphore
>> state
>>     Failed to set a proper state for notification semaphore identified
>> by cookie value 223185118 (0xd4d88de) to initialize waiting for incoming
>> notifications.
>
> vchange is only LVM, not dm-crypt, is it? So might not be related at all
> to dm-crypt or cryptsetup?

Thet problem is in libdevampper library (which is common for cryptsetup and lvm).
(cryptsetup itself does not use semaphores at all)

Just to verify that udev handling is correct, can you paste output of
grep dmsetup /lib/udev/rules.d/* ?

> For chromium, it might be that the default sandboxing (setuid one) uses
> PID and network namespaces. Not sure why it'd mess with semaphores, but
> maybe there's something to look at there.

Hm. Is there some page describing what it is doing?
(Of course on my system it works with chromium running without problem...)