[dm-crypt] password -md5 in grub.conf/menu.lst

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Aug 17 17:50:31 CEST 2011

This seems to be a config file option of grub-md5-crypt,
and has nothing to do with cryptsetup, dm-crypt or LUKS.

If I understand the documentation correctly, this is
an md5-ed password that either secures interactive Grub mode
or prevents script continuation before password entry.

The format seems to be the same as in /etc/shadow
for md5 passwords. You can read up on it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_password

Arno