[dm-crypt] recovering forgotten passwords for 2 LVs

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Tue Aug 23 00:53:07 CEST 2011

On 08/23/2011 12:33 AM, ken wrote:
> On the other hand, if I do a "vgdisplay /dev/sda5", I get a series of
> lines saying "Input/output error" along with the locations of those
> errors, ending with the statement 'Volume group "sda5" not found'.
>
> I'd think that if vgdisplay can't locate the volume group, then vgchange

No. vgdisplay does not take physical path as argument, this
command must fail. (but io errors indicate something more
serious - what exactly it says?)

Whatever, seems you are doing several mistakes, lets try this:

/dev/sda5 is LUKS device for sure, you have to first activate:

1) cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sda5 sda5_crypt

does it work and device is properly unlocked? If so, then

2) please paste output of: "blkid /dev/mapper/sda5_crypt"

I guess it will be LVM PV. If so then run

3) vgscan ; vgchange -a y

4) paste here output of "blkid /dev/mapper/*"

Maybe you can add also "blkid /dev/sd*" so we can be sure what's
type of partitions you have there - the grub entry you mentioned
does not match the device on /dev/sda5.

(I would say paste here output of "lsblk -f" but this command is not
yet in CentOS5.)

Thanks,