[dm-crypt] recovering forgotten passwords for 2 LVs

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Tue Aug 23 14:57:59 CEST 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 06:33:30PM -0400, ken wrote:
[...]
> Yves, thanks for replying.
>
> This setup worked fine for years without changing anything on it.  I'm
> fairly certain that there are two logical volumes on /dev/sda5, both
> encrypted.  As said, when I booted the system up, I was prompted for two
> passphrases (one for each filesystem).
>

> Does this tell us anything?
>
> # cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sda5
> LUKS header information for /dev/sda5
>
> Version:        1
> Cipher name:    aes
[...]

It does. /dev/sda5 has a LUKS container at the start with
one passphrase active. For password breaking attempts, it
does not matter that there are some LVM mappings. I advise
to just ignore any LVM stuff for the moment and to run your
password guessing attempts against /dev/sda5.

You will possibly not get you data, but the password checking
will be good, unless that thing was created using
decrypt_derived or the like. I doubt that, as then you
should have been asked only for one password.

Once you have the password recovered, you should be able
to do a normal boot.