[dm-crypt] Status of trim for SSds?

Philipp Wendler ml at philippwendler.de
Thu Jul 14 18:39:38 CEST 2011

Hello,

Am 14.07.2011 17:55, schrieb Milan Broz:

> My opinion is that TRIM for encrypted disk is stupid idea,

I would be interested in the reasons for this, as I also have dm-crypt
on an SSD, and wondered whether it is a good idea to enable trim or not
(as soon as its ready).
What could an attacker do with the information which blocks are used and
which are unused?

I always thought that using trim would essentially be the same as not
writing random data to your disk before encrypting it, and this behavior
is actually the default.

Greetings, Philipp