[dm-crypt] Status of trim for SSds?

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Mon Jul 18 12:04:18 CEST 2011

On 07/18/2011 10:45 AM, Christian Hesse wrote:
> If I understand correctly the table reload suspends my device? With the root
> partition inside the crypt device I would have to do this in initram disk I
> think...

No. "load" will just load table into inactive slot. Following "resume" will implicitly
suspend device and immediately resume with new table (in kernel) so it should be safe.

> Perhaps I really should wait for support in cryptsetup. :D

In devel tree is already "--allow-discard" option for luksOpen/create command.
(But I guess /etc/ctypttab need new option here as well for system devices but
that's must be fixed by initscripts. There will be no cryptsetup command to enable it
on-fly, just for activation commands.)