[dm-crypt] luksFormat hangs

Martin Hicks mort at bork.org
Tue Jun 28 22:23:19 CEST 2011

On Tue, Jun 28, 2011 at 4:14 PM, Milan Broz <mbroz at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 06/28/2011 09:56 PM, Martin Hicks wrote:
>> I'm trying to create a luks device on an embedded platform running
>> kernel 2.6.37 and cryptsetup 1.3.1.  I'm sure I've done this before,
>> but when I tried today I end up with a hang that consumes all CPU and
>> based on a combination of --debug and strace I think it is in the
>> PBKDF2_perforance_check function.
>
> well, I would really like to know what went wrong there.

I see what the problem is.  Must be a compiler bug of some kind on our platform.

rt_sigaction(SIGVTALRM, {0xffd60b4, [VTALRM], SA_RESTART}, {SIG_DFL,
setitimer(ITIMER_VIRTUAL, {it_interval={0, 0}, it_value={1, 0}}, NULL) = 0

That is correct, I think.  It's just setting the timer to let the
performance test run for 1 second, but I never seem to get the
wake-up...

I'll have to see if I can find a reason why VTALRM is disabled,
doesn't exist or whatever on my platform...

mh

Martin Hicks P.Eng.      |         mort at bork.org
Bork Consulting Inc.     |   +1 (613) 266-2296