[dm-crypt] Strange kind of corruption on a dm-crypt device

Oren Held oren.held at gmail.com
Sat May 14 17:54:44 CEST 2011

Hi, I'm using dm-crypt for 2 years now and it's rather stable. I'm not using
luks but only 'cryptsetup create' method. Suddenly this morning, after an
unclean shutdown, I've encountered a strange problem: When I use 'cryptsetup
create homes /dev/mapper/myvg-homes' and enter the passphrase, instead of
creating a new dm device with a proper ext4 fs as it used to, I get a bad
device. But not *totally* bad. Fsck/mount fail to find the superblock. Also
no backup superblocks are available. I did try the 'mkfs -n' for finding the
backup superblocks, for fsck -b, but none of them works.
=================================================== fsck from util-linux-ng
2.17.2 e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010) fsck.ext4: Superblock invalid, trying
backup blocks... fsck.ext4: The ext2 superblock is corrupt while trying to
open /dev/mapper/homes The superblock could not be read or does not describe
a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an
ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
e2fsck -b 8193 <device> ===================================================
Why is this case strange? because when I read the device with my naked eye
(or with 'strings' command) I can see lots of plain, *unencrypted* file
content. so it seems like some kind of a limbo, decryption worked, but not
so well... I'm using Debian unstable (kernel 2.6.38-2), which just got the
upgrade package for cryptsetup 1.3.0 yesterday. I'm not sure if my problem
has to do with the upgrade, but the timing makes me wonder. I did try
downgrading to 1.2.0 and to 2.6.37, but it didn't help. Any suggestion on
how to progress? anybody experienced something similar recently? I'm still
not sure if it's a real bug in cryptsetup/dm/kernel, or something broken
specifically in my place. 10x Oren