[dm-crypt] Strange kind of corruption on a dm-crypt device

Oren Held oren.held at gmail.com
Sat May 14 17:58:54 CEST 2011

Uh; sorry for the messed message.. will re-paste with clean formatting.
----
Hi,

I'm using dm-crypt for 2 years now and it's rather stable. I'm not using
luks but only 'cryptsetup create' method. Suddenly this morning, after an
unclean shutdown, I've encountered a strange problem:

When I use 'cryptsetup create homes /dev/mapper/myvg-homes' and enter the
passphrase, instead of creating a new dm device with a proper ext4 fs as
it used to, I get a bad device. But not *totally* bad.

Fsck/mount fail to find the superblock. Also no backup superblocks are
available. I did try the 'mkfs -n' for finding the backup superblocks, for
fsck -b, but none of them works.
fsck from util-linux-ng 2.17.2
e2fsck 1.41.12 (17-May-2010)
fsck.ext4: Superblock invalid, trying backup blocks...
fsck.ext4: The ext2 superblock is corrupt while trying to open
/dev/mapper/homes

filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Why is this case strange? because when I read the device with my naked eye
(or with 'strings' command) I can see lots of plain, *unencrypted* file
content. so it seems like some kind of a limbo, decryption worked, but not
so well...

I'm using Debian unstable (kernel 2.6.38-2), which just got the upgrade
package for cryptsetup 1.3.0 yesterday. I'm not sure if my problem has to do
with the upgrade, but the timing makes me wonder. I did try downgrading to
1.2.0 and to 2.6.37, but it didn't help.

Any suggestion on how to progress? anybody experienced something similar
recently? I'm still not sure if it's a real bug in cryptsetup/dm/kernel, or
something broken specifically in my place.

10x

Oren