[dm-crypt] What am I missing for aes-cbc-plain

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Tue May 17 18:31:29 CEST 2011

On 05/17/2011 04:54 PM, Jan Willies wrote:
> # DM-UUID is CRYPT-TEMP-temporary-cryptsetup-2022
> # dm create temporary-cryptsetup-2022 CRYPT-TEMP-temporary-cryptsetup-2022 OF   [16384]
> # dm reload temporary-cryptsetup-2022  OF   [16384]
> device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: No such file or directory

There is something strange on your system - either some kernel modules are missing
or something similar. Any other messages in syslog?

According to used mv_cesa module I guess it is some ARM platform, right?

Maybe try to keep LUKS from the picture and check modes works, just
use plain crypt - like this:

echo "password" | cryptsetup create tst /dev/<some dev> -c aes-cbc-plain -s 128
cryptsetup remove tst

Does it fail for all combination of modes?
(Try aes-ecb - it is insecure, but just to test if aes driver works).

If it still fails with "No such file or directory", try some simple device-mapper
target using the same device:

dmsetup create tst --table "0 1000 linear /dev/sda2 0"
dmsetup remove tst

Does this work?