[dm-crypt] What am I missing for aes-cbc-plain

Jan Willies jan at willies.info
Tue May 17 19:09:10 CEST 2011

2011/5/17 Milan Broz <mbroz at redhat.com>

> On 05/17/2011 04:54 PM, Jan Willies wrote:
> > # DM-UUID is CRYPT-TEMP-temporary-cryptsetup-2022
> > # dm create temporary-cryptsetup-2022
> CRYPT-TEMP-temporary-cryptsetup-2022 OF   [16384]
> > # dm reload temporary-cryptsetup-2022  OF   [16384]
> > device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: No such file or directory
>
> There is something strange on your system - either some kernel modules are
> missing
> or something similar. Any other messages in syslog?

No, unfortunately not.

> According to used mv_cesa module I guess it is some ARM platform, right?

Exactly.

> Maybe try to keep LUKS from the picture and check modes works, just
> use plain crypt - like this:
>
> echo "password" | cryptsetup create tst /dev/<some dev> -c aes-cbc-plain -s
> 128
> cryptsetup remove tst

root at OpenWrt:/# echo "password" | cryptsetup create tst /dev/sda1 -c
aes-cbc-pla
in -s 128
device-mapper: table: 254:0: crypt: Error allocating crypto tfm
device-mapper: ioctl: error adding target to table
device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: No such file or directory

> Does it fail for all combination of modes?
> (Try aes-ecb - it is insecure, but just to test if aes driver works).

That seems to work:

root at OpenWrt:/# echo "password" | cryptsetup create tst /dev/sda1 -c aes-ecb
-s
128
root at OpenWrt:/# cryptsetup remove tst

hm, so the aes driver works but not in combination with aes-cbc?

regards,

Jan