[dm-crypt] please HELP - can't acces encrypted LVM after linux reinstallation.

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Tue Nov 1 05:45:27 CET 2011

On Mon, Oct 31, 2011 at 11:48:13PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
[...]
> I don't suggest to hide the backup header. In fact the exact place of
> it should be obvious (either fixed, or better: random but written to
> the first header).

I don't think random is doable. After all, people may want to put
a filesystem in there. Or not. You cannot just use some of that
space the layer above expects to be at its disposal. There is really
only one place to put a backup: Right after the first header and
keyslot area, everything else breaks proper layering. And that does
not really help.