[dm-crypt] password recovery for a luksOpened device?

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Nov 2 08:25:29 CET 2011

You have to go trough master key recovery. No way around that.

But you do not need to create a new header, you can use
something like "cryptsetup luksAddKey --master-key-file <mkey> ..."
to set a new passphrase. (In this case you have to go the
manual route.) I am currently adding this to the FAQ,
may take a few minutes to try it out.

Arno