[dm-crypt] LUKS keyslot 4 is invalid.

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Sat Nov 26 19:45:11 CET 2011

On 11/26/2011 03:19 PM, Mika Kujanpää wrote:
> I've tried to find information, if there is some possibility to recover access to disk. When I try luksOpen or luksDump, i get
>
> cryptsetup luksDump /dev/disk/by-uuid/7fa45e9b-6b3d-4ac7-becc-7b8fe5d463a3
> LUKS keyslot 4 is invalid.
> LUKS keyslot 5 is invalid.

Which cryptsetup version?

Basically it means that either kesylot has wrong offset
(or there is bug in cryptsetup itself, I recently added
some offset check code here).

Could you send me (to private mail, not to list) dd of this
broken LUKS header so I can check what's wrong?

(just first 4k of device - without private keyslots area,
e.g. only visible information - you can use this command

dd if=<luks_device> of=<backup_file> bs=4096 count=1

Thanks,