[dm-crypt] DM-Steg: New steganographic encryption module

Leo Samulis anagon at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 17:20:28 CET 2011

Hello folks,

I'd like to introduce DM-Steg. It's a device mapper module that provides
deniable/steganographic encryption. DM-Steg provides similar capabilities
to Rubberhose (a now defunct project by Julian Assange et al.) and more
advanced deniable encryption than Truecrypt.

DM-Steg can be used to hide any number of strongly encrypted volumes inside
block devices or files. There is no way to determine how many volumes a
block device contains or even if the block device is not random data.
DM-Steg uses strong encryption yet still achives goood performance - up to
148 MB/s on my core 2 duo, and only 1% slowdown on kernel compiles.

DM-Steg is working code and free software, so if you have any interest in
deniable encryption, please head over to http://dmsteg.sf.net and grab the
tarball!

I've taken this project as far as I want so I'd very much like it if
there's anyone in the OSS community who wants to take it further. Don't be
shy! :)

All the best,

- Leo