[dm-crypt] Data recovery

Nico Gevers ingevious at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 14:28:28 CEST 2011

Hi

I've recently decided to encrypt all my drives using luks, running on ubuntu
11.10. I encrypted my external drive, and loaded all my backups onto the
drive. One morning, I tried accessing the drive, and it wouldn't accept my
key phrase. I tried a couple of times, even tried some variations, but no
avail. Then I stupidly thought of running fsck on the drive. I fixed a
couple of innodes, but then stopped, realising that I was probably doing
more harm than good.

When I run luksDump on that drive, I get all the expected information. My
question is: is the header still intact. Is there any chance I can recover
my data, owing to the fact that luksDump displays, what seems to me, a valid
header? (I'm assuming that if luksDump shows the information, the header is
intact).

thanks in advance
Nico