[dm-crypt] Data recovery

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Sun Oct 9 19:51:30 CEST 2011

Hi Nico,

On Sun, Oct 09, 2011 at 07:17:31PM +0200, Nico Gevers wrote:
> Hi Arno
>
> Thanks for the help. I'll consider the data lost and move on.
>
> Incidentally, is there any way to recover deleted files from an encrypted
> drive. eg, you delete some files (and empty the trash), and then recover
> them afterwards. I know there are tools available, but I'm not sure i they
> would work on an encrypted drive (while mounted of course). Will encrypting
> a drive remove all possibilities of undelete?

This will behave exactly the same as with a non-encrypted device.
The encryption layer just translates the raw encrypted device into
a raw non-encrypted device, which for all intents and purposes
(except performance) can be treated the same as a non-encrypted
device.

The filesystem sits on top of that and difficulty-level of
recovering deleted files depends on the filesystem used.
For example, with ext2/3 it is pretty difficult, but you
may find fragments easily if you know what you are looking
for. With FAT is is generally easy. BTRFS, XFS, ZFS, etc.
I have no idea.