[dm-crypt] dm-crypt Digest, Vol 27, Issue 2

Yaron Sheffer yaronf at gmx.com
Thu Sep 1 15:30:23 CEST 2011

Hi Arno,

Encryption of data-at-rest in the public cloud is not "pointless", it is
yet another layer of security. Just as people encrypt their laptops even
though they are password protected.

The cloud provider does not have access to "everything", certainly not
when we're talking about data at rest, where the keys may have come and
gone months ago but the data is still there. Moreover, the cloud
provider is not the only or the most important threat. By the way, I am
not claiming that the permission system is broken.

Attacks on encrypted data are no harder or more expensive in the cloud
than on physical disks. If you parallelize things, your throughput is
limited by the disks physical access, just as for "real" disks.

This is a solution for a very real problem. But I don't want to go
commercial again...

Thanks,
     Yaron