[dm-crypt] using LUKS-cryptsetup with NAS device

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Sep 14 12:49:00 CEST 2011

Depends on the NAS and you have to do it right. It is usually
far easier to build your own NAS using a conventional PC case,
as a lot of NAS hardware requires speical drivers and compiling
and installing tools like cryptetup may be complicated. The
second problem is that NAS cpus are typically slow and encryption
will significantly slow down access. If you use a PC as NAS,
current CPUs should be able to do crypto at  disk speed or not
much below, unless you put in SSDs.

Arno