[dm-crypt] Password is not accepted

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Wed Sep 21 05:05:51 CEST 2011

On 09/21/2011 04:03 AM, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> This is all driven by the initramfs.  What happens is that,
> sometimes, the screen goes black for perhaps 15 or more
> seconds starting about 3 or 4 seconds after the luks
> password prompt.  Attempts to enter the password or portion
> thereof during this time always result in failure.
> I believe I've seen the same problem without the screen
> going black as well.  If I wait a long time to enter the
> password all is well.

I had problems with late reset of usb devices
(with connected usb keyboard).

When I start to enter passphrase (in initramfs), usb kernel
module resets usb devices (perhaps just initialization)
and usually it cause lost of some entered characters.

Waiting few seconds helps - maybe this is the similar case
or just problem with another hw interfering (like gpu).

To debug such issues - boot kernel, intramfs (dracut or whatever
it is) with full debug to console, check what is logged
immediately before it happens.
(If it is too quick, just use some camera and record screen
or log it to serial console.)

With passphrase entered in late init where things run in
parallel (like systemd these days) even more magic can happen;-)