[dm-crypt] (More) Questions about LUKS / LVM

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Sep 21 12:22:18 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 08:19:54PM +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
[...]
> > http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2011/01/msg02021.html
>
> Not completely up to date. Almost all tools actively use topology
> information (from kernel) or default to 1MiB alignment.
> (fdisk, parted, lvm, cryptsetup, mdadm, etc)

Careful with that. My fdisk (from util-linux-ng 2.17.2)
does 1MB alignment for the first partition, but then it does
no alignment at all for the 3 primary partitions and
while it puts 1MB between the logical partitions, that
also does not result in alignment to anything as far as
I can tell.

I suspect that you have to align yourself for the
partitions. This was with a new, blank disk, but I
gave sizes in kB, as the partitions go into RAID sets.
Maybe it aligns if you give sizes in MB.