[dm-crypt] about invalid key slots

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Mon Apr 2 07:43:28 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 1, 2012 at 8:41 PM, .. ink .. <mhogomchungu at gmail.com> wrote:

> > $ sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc dsk
> > LUKS keyslot 6 is invalid.
> > LUKS keyslot 7 is invalid.
>
> A user with a problem with invalid key slots had the above in one of the
> recent mailing list post.
>
> Does cryptsetup check all slots if they are valid before it tries to open
> a volume and bail out when it finds an invalid one or does it give the
> above error if it cant get a valid key on on valid key slots?
>
> example, if a valid slot was on slot number 1 and he entered a passphrase
> that is on slot number 1.Would he have got the same error message?
>
> did cryptsetup went through all the valid keyslots, didnt find the key and
> suspect that the key might be on the two invalid slots and reported the
> error?

is it possible to get or how can i create a volume with an invalid key? i
would lik3 to test this for my program zulucrypt but i cant seem to manage
to corrupt a volume. The best i have got after trying for hours is
inconsistency at best.

crypt_keyslot_status API shows the key is invalid but cryptsetup luksDump
shown the key slot as disabled and cryptsetup executable just says the
password does not exist when trying to open the volume with the a key in
slot i try to make invalid