[dm-crypt] can't open luks device after raid 5 rebuild

Salatiel Filho salatiel.filho at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 22:07:28 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 8, 2012 at 14:09, Heinz Diehl <htd at fancy-poultry.org> wrote:
> On 08.04.2012, artificial11000 wrote:
>
>>  mdadm --create --level=5 -n 3 /dev/md127 /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sdd
>         ---------
>
> Seems your data is gone, forever. You created a new raid manually,
> which means that you deleted all your previous data.
>
> You have a backup, do you?

I disagree. I got some missing superblock sometime in the past while
assembling the array. Recreated it using mdadm -C with the same
parameters for the raid-level and raid-devices and it did not touch my
encrypted data. I was able to mount just fine after that. I always
thought that mdadm would touch only their own superblock when
creating. Though at that time i had a degraded  array and my array is
built on partitions , not the whole disk.

[]'s
Salatiel