[dm-crypt] dm-crypt multithreaded yet?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Wed Aug 8 16:29:01 CEST 2012

Hi all.

Sorry for what is probably a very tiresome topic here, but just trying
to find out what the current status is...

I thought I knew the answer to this question (dm-crypt multithreaded
yet? no) but I had read in several places that dm-crypt had gained
multithreaded capabilities.  I'm still skeptical though.  I certainly
don't see it on Fedora 17's 3.3.4-5.fc17.x86_64 kernel.

Sadly, I don't have an AES-NI capable CPU, but I do have 4 (real, 8 with
HT enabled) cores and dm-crypting on my SSD reduces its performance down
from about 260MB/s (native) to 95MB/s.  :-(  I would like to think I
could get more performance out of it if more of the (usually available
anyway) CPU could be thrown at it.

Is this something being worked on currently?

I have taken note of
http://people.redhat.com/mpatocka/patches/kernel/dm-crypt-paralelizace/current/

but that work seems to be going back to Feb/2012.  And TBH, I'm not
entirely clear if that work is aimed at multi-threaded dm-crypt or not.

Cheers,
b.