[dm-crypt] Secret data from stdin

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 17:44:01 CEST 2012

On 08/15/2012 05:12 PM, Kent Yoder wrote:

>   Yep, I am out of date here.  What do you think about a code change
> that woudl print a big fat warning if non-ascii bytes are detected on
> stdin?  Not changing the behavior (we don't want to break people who
> might be already doing this), but just a warning.

No please.
Anything what prints any information about passphrase to screen, log etc.
is not acceptable, it provides info which should not be seen anywhere.

I know that \n handling is problematic, but there is huge amount of
scripts using this redirection. We cannot simply change it.
(At least not for current CLI commands.)