[dm-crypt] aes-xts-plain with aes_x86_64 makes my SSD 5x slower than my encrypted HD

Marc MERLIN marc at merlins.org
Thu Aug 16 19:57:16 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 06:28:06PM +0200, André Gall wrote:
> Hi Marc,
>
> thank you very much for your detailed investigation. I wanted to buy the
> Samsung SSD 830 in the next few days to replace my old SSD. I chose this
> drive explicitely because of it's "supposed" performance with encrypted
> data according to the benchmarks of incompressible data all around the
> internet. Seems like I should rethink this decision :)

That's also why I bought it, and obviously it didn't work out.
I seem to remember that the OCZ Vertex 4 also does ok with data that doesn't
compress.

> >Samsung's old Benchmark registered so low on their own Random IO test
> >that the bar graph showing speed was a single line at the '0' mark.
>
> You don't happen to have a screenshot of this? This would make it much
> easier for people to understand there's something wrong!

Sure thing. Page updated:
http://marc.merlins.org/perso/linux/post_2012-08-15_The-tale-of-SSDs_-Crucial-C300-early-Death_-Samsung-830-extreme-random-IO-slowness_-and-settling-with-OCZ-Vertex-4.html

Marc
Microsoft is to operating systems ....