[dm-crypt] Encrypt all partitions with dm-crypt

Stayvoid stayvoid at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 14:10:01 CEST 2012

Hello,

I'd like to encrypt all partitions (or most of them) with plain dm-crypt.

Here is my partition scheme:

1. /dev/sda1 ext3 (I want to install Parabola here.)
2. /dev/sda2 swap
3. /dev/sda3 ext3 gNewSense

I can't boot from CD or USB that's why I'm going to use the third partition.

I'd like to format the first two partitions and encrypt them with
plain dm-crypt.
After that I will install Parabola [1] on the first partition. Will this work?

I'm not sure because my bootloader (PMON) uses the first partition to
store its conf file.

And how will this work from user's perspective? Will I be prompted for
a passphrase?

Should I use a more complicated scheme (with /boot)?

[1] Here is the installation guide:
https://wiki.parabolagnulinux.org/MIPS_Installation

Thanks

P.S. I haven't decided what to do with the third partition yet. Maybe
I'll erase and encrypt it later.