[dm-crypt] solved: Re: How to recover partially overwritten LUKS volume?

Milan Broz mbroz at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 12:20:28 CEST 2012

On 08/27/2012 11:51 AM, András Korn wrote:

> That means that the offsets from the FAQ don't apply to my LUKS
> container and that keyslot #2 has been wiped after all.

Not sure if it is good idea to have these in FAQ, it depends on
key size. (But there are usually only 3 variants for 128,256 and 512bits).

I wonder adding this directly to luksDump would help?

Like
        Key material offset:    8
	Key slot area offset:   0x1000 - 0x21000

(here with padding, perhaps it is better print used area only without padding...)

Milan
p.s.
very nice description of successful recovery, congrats :)