[dm-crypt] Fwd: saout.de mailing list memberships reminder

Markus Krainz ldm at gmx.at
Thu Dec 20 18:25:08 CET 2012

Am 20.12.2012 18:03, schrieb Marc MERLIN:
> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 04:55:09PM +0100, Markus Krainz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I think the forwarded message speeks for itself :)
> I used to be mailman admin for sourceforge, a few million folks just like
> you.
> I got so tired of answering mails like this one that I wrote an FAQ :)
>
> http://marc.merlins.org/netrants/mailman-password.txt
>
> Note, if you disagree, you are welcome to change your password further or
> unsubscribe.
>
> Marc

That's a nice FAQ.

However most points are moot imho. The users that don't read
instructions are the most vulnerable for this kind of practice because
they tend to use same passwords every time and you'd rather not send
their passwords if in doubt they read instructions. In any case I don't
care too much from someone changing the subscription settings but it
violates trust that users are used to when they put in a password. Maybe
you do it for legal reasons but there's nothing about in the faq. So
again it just seems odd.

However you are of course free to do what you want with the lists and it
seems it has been discussed extensively alrady.

Best, Markus