[dm-crypt] Unexpected behavior in cryptsetup-1.5.1

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 20:15:41 CET 2012

On 12/28/2012 04:22 PM, jason_daly at lavabit.com wrote:
> I see that in the release notes for cryptsetup-1.5.1, it talks about "lazy
> initializations."  Could this be the cause of this new behavior, and if
> so, is this an expected trade-off in order to allow for some cryptsetup
> operations to be run by non-root users?

Yes, it is caused by this change and it is a bug (and should be fixed
in devel tree already), so next release will work again here.

Your workaround (allocate loop in advance) should work always.

(You still need to be root for LUKS format...)

Thanks for report!

(You can directly use http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/issues/list next time
if you want track specific problem and the fix.)