[dm-crypt] Avoiding fsck.ext4 destruction of crypto_luks data

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Sat Dec 29 10:05:12 CET 2012

On 12/29/2012 08:06 AM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 08:22:25PM +0100, Milan Broz wrote:

> Ext2 superblock signatures are all not wiped. Test I ran:

Backup signatures should not be problem, (from the fsck problem
POV, not from security/old data on disk POV of course).

Tools screams a lot if you want to use these only and primary
signature is missing.

Anyway, for wiping signature please suggest wipefs(8),
this tool is designed to wipe all known signatures.

(I am trying to avoid linking cryptsetup to libblkid, but
if this happens some time in future, cryptsetup can call wipefs
directly.)

IOW
 wipefs -a <device>

should destroy all known signatures to blkid
(by minimalistic writes, this is not full device
wipe, so it is very quick).