[dm-crypt] LUKS keyslot invalid

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 12:26:16 CET 2012

On 12/29/2012 11:03 PM, wpc95 wrote:
> Running Ubuntu 12.04 (cryptsetup 1.4.0) LUKS claims for 2 of the
> encrypted drives, that 'LUKS keyslot 4 is invalid'. Due to the fact that the
> option 'repair' was launched with cryptsetup 1.4.1, i have started the
> computer with an actual live-linux. But the result with cryptsetup 1.5.0 is
> the same as with 1.4.0: it claims, that 'LUKS keyslot 4 is invalid. Invalid
> offset 1576471435 [first drive] 3746914134 [second drive] in keyslot 4.' The
> repair option says that repair failed with code 22 and a manual repair is
> required.

Just for the archive - the current repair code is able to fix this problem
(it was just simple 4 bytes overwrite, fortunately on unused keyslot metadata).

I was just too cautious and did not enabled repair of 512bit (XTS mode) keys.
That restriction is now removed, so next time repair code should work.