[dm-crypt] loop file with partition problems

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Feb 29 17:40:31 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 05:26:03PM +0100, Giovanni Di Stasi wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having problems accessing a partition I have created on a file.
> I have never managed to mount it after reboot.
> I am using Debian (testing).
>
> This is what I did:
>
> # sudo -i
> # echo aes >> /etc/modules
> # echo dm_mod >> /etc/modules
> # echo dm_crypt >> /etc/modules
> # dd if=/dev/urandom of=.encrypted bs=1024 count=500000
> # sudo cryptsetup -y create crypt .encrypted
> # echo "crypt /home/giovanni/.encrypted none none" >> /etc/crypttab
> # sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/crypt
> # mkdir /home/giovanni/cip
> # chown giovanni:giovanni /home/giovanni/cip/
> # sudo mount /dev/mapper/crypt /home/giovanni/cip
> # ls /home/giovanni/cip/
> # sudo umount /home/giovanni/cip
> # sudo mount /dev/mapper/crypt /home/giovanni/cip
>
> After rebooted, I don't really know how to mount my partition.
> I have tried this:
>
> # sudo -i
> # cryptsetup luksOpen .encrypted crypt
> Device /dev/loop0 is not a valid LUKS device.
>
> Did I lost all my data as I suspect? If so, why?

You are confusing plain dm-crypt and LUKS. You created the
crypto-container (which is not a partition but a whole
decive here) as plain dm-crypt and are trying to map it
as LUKS. These two are different and not compatible.

Try this:

 cryptsetup create crypt .encrypted
 mount /dev/mapper/crypt /home/giovanni/cip