[dm-crypt] LUKS header always disappears after reboot

Cory Coager ccoager at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 04:46:49 CET 2012

I have a dedicated drive used just for data. The entire drive is
encrypted with cryptsetup & LUKS. Since the drive is 3tb in size I had
to create the partition with parted. The partition is aligned for
optimal performance.

fdisk -lu:
WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util
fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sdb: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364801 cylinders, total 5860533168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

/dev/sdb1               1  4294967295  2147483647+  ee  GPT

parted:
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sdb
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) print
Model: ATA Hitachi HDS5C303 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 3001GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number  Start   End     Size    File system  Name  Flags
 1      1049kB  3001GB  3001GB

(parted) align-check opt 1
1 aligned

For some reason, every time I reboot the LUKS header is no longer
recognized. I checked to make sure the appropriate modules are loaded
into memory. The first time I just redid it thinking maybe I did
something wrong. The second time now this has happened I'm thinking
something else is going on. Why does this keep happening? How do I fix
it without redoing it as I have data on this drive.

# cryptsetup luksDump /dev/sdb1
Device /dev/sdb1 is not a valid LUKS device.