[dm-crypt] HELP, luksFormat over existing container

Konstantin V. Gavrilenko k.gavrilenko at arhont.com
Sat Jan 7 11:57:08 CET 2012

Hello list,

I have a problem :(

by mistake, instead of luksOpen I executed lukFormat on the loop device with associated cryptofile.
even though the key is was the same, I have no backup of original luksHeader, so I assume i have no way of recovering the SALT.
I am pretty much in Acceptance that it is not possible to recover anything, but would like to get an external confirmation, advice.

p.s. surprised and disappointing that cryptsetup does not issue a warning when running luksFormat over luks preformatted container :(

thanks
kos