[dm-crypt] writing greater than 1GB of data through the mapper to a file hangs kernel 3.2.x

.. ink .. mhogomchungu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 07:22:48 CEST 2012

> I suspect this is a different problem, e.g. a dying and/or overheating
> controller. It may also be a RAM problem that only hits on large
> enough transfers. See cryptsetup FAQ on how to test RAM.

[....]
>> first time experience like the one reported here in the second
>> paragraph: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,106847.msg912803.html#msg912803
>
> That looks like a ZuluCrypt artefact to me, not something you would
> see with cryptsetup.

The lock up happen when zuluCrypt does the above,write to a file
through a plain mapper and it happens consistently on my system and on
the person who first reported it.

I will ask him and others in the forum for their computer specs and to
use cryptsetup directly to create 3GB of random data to a 4 GB file
through the mapper and see what happens.

thanks for your response.