[dm-crypt] writing greater than 1GB of data through the mapper to a file hangs kernel 3.2.x

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Fri Jul 6 09:34:46 CEST 2012

On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 01:22:48AM -0400, .. ink .. wrote:
> > I suspect this is a different problem, e.g. a dying and/or overheating
> > controller. It may also be a RAM problem that only hits on large
> > enough transfers. See cryptsetup FAQ on how to test RAM.
> >

> [....]
> >> first time experience like the one reported here in the second
> >> paragraph: http://www.pclinuxos.com/forum/index.php/topic,106847.msg912803.html#msg912803
> >
> > That looks like a ZuluCrypt artefact to me, not something you would
> > see with cryptsetup.
> >
> The lock up happen when zuluCrypt does the above,write to a file
> through a plain mapper and it happens consistently on my system and on
> the person who first reported it.

Ah. Must have overlooked that part. Sorry.

> I will ask him and others in the forum for their computer specs and to
> use cryptsetup directly to create 3GB of random data to a 4 GB file
> through the mapper and see what happens.

Yes, good idea. Ask the people experencing this for their kernel
versions as well, what filesystem they have the loop-file on
(ext3 in my case), and some speed numbers (the ones from dd are
fine).

If several people have this issue, hardware is very likely not to
blame. And I have to say that with the recent RAID corruption issue,
my trust in the 3.x kernels has suffered a bit lately.

Arno Wagner,    Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,   Email: arno at wagner.name